“Mr. Barling’s amazing recovery can only be attributed to his research into the history of natural digestive enzymes and his formula limiting the pain and physical limitations of his arthritis, gout and IBD.”
— Cranford L. Scott, M.D., Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of Southern California.
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the U.S. In 2009, an estimated 50 million adults reported being told by a doctor they have arthritis. By 2030, the number will reach 79 million. More than 3 million people admit to suffering from gout in the U.S. alone. More than 2 million people suffer from Crohn’s Disease, IBD, IBS and other digestive diseases. Colorectal cancer is the second most common cancer in the U.S. (behind lung cancer) with nearly 150,000 new cases diagnosed each year.
As the incidents of these illnesses increase throughout our nation, it becomes clear that a significant number of Americans are suffering from symptoms without knowing it. Often these symptoms start as early as forty years old and, for some, even earlier, because of a person’s genetic predisposition. Can you recognize these symptoms? If you do, do you know what to do about preventing and/or treating them? We offer information, solutions and hope for preventing and controlling the effects of illness and disease.
The goal of our books is to help people prevent illness, heart disease, cancer, liver and kidney ailments and other diseases caused by inflamation, allergy, intolerance or genetic predisposition. We also believe that our diet and natural enzyme formula discussed in our companion book, Mannie’s Diet and Enzyme Formula -- A Change of Lifestyle for Everyone, offers the ultimate in preventive medicine.
The authors cite more than 1,800 medical treatises, journals, surveys, tests and periodicals covering more than 120 years of scientific research in the References section in support of their facts, theories and opinions. The reader can look up every theory and opinion and read the source material for themselves.
“If the information in our book were available to me earlier in life, I would have avoided colon cancer, the removal of a significant portion of my colon and avoided the onset of arthritis, gout, Crohn’s Disease, IBD and IBS.”
—Mannie Barling, co-author.
Press play to watch the video...
Your So-Called Healthy Foods Are Killing You.
At one time, "eating healthy" meant eating fruits and vegetables from the Food Pyramid charts posted on classroom walls and doctors' offices since the early 1950s. We both thought we were eating healthy foods until we started becoming ill. We soon learned that our so-called healthy foods were polluted with pesticides, preservatives and dangerous food additives. While you may think that you are eating a healthy diet, you will soon learn that many of your food choices are polluted – right down to the spices you use daily.
It is never too early or too late to improve your health and extend your life. The human body is amazingly resilient. It can repair itself by getting rid of damaged cells and replacing them as part of your normal life cycle. Even a slight change in lifestyle can have major impact on weight and health. The inclusion of a regime of natural enzymes will remarkably accelerate the rate your body heals and repairs itself.
Food is medicine. Because the ingredients in food are the single most important part of what we eat, one must understand clearly what is going into the food your prepare and the food you eat out in fast food restaurants, convenience stores and at market food counters. Why do we place so much emphasis on ingredients? It is because of the old axiom that you are what you eat. If you continue to eat foods soaked in herbicides and pesticides, your body will someday (if it isn’t already) become saturated with these dangerous poisons resulting in a slower death than experienced by weeds and other pests but, nonetheless, death sooner or later from an illness or disease hastened or caused by these dangerous chemicals.
What are Polypesticides and Polychemicals?
Polypesticides and/or polychemicals should be the correct term for anyone who consumes three or more meals a day containing genetically modified fruits, vegetables, caned, frozen and/or packaged foods soaked in herbicides, pesticides, preservatives and synthetic food additives. In cases where the Roundup pesticide has not been effective, the fruits and vegetables may have been sprayed with two or three other brands of pesticides to compensate. Does anyone really know how many, how much and how often herbicides and pesticides have been sprayed onto the fruits and vegetables you see every time you walk through the vegetable section of the average supermarket?
If polypharmacy (consuming more than four over the counter and/or prescription drugs a day) is dangerous to humans, then the consumption of dangerous chemicals contained in our food is equal or more dangerous than the fillers and inert ingredients contained in drugs. The danger to ones health magnifies exponentially with every drug, meal and snack containing these dangerous chemicals. We know at least one person who takes eighteen prescription drugs a day. We also know many people who eat more than one “supersized” meal out and at home every day.
The food manufacturers, with the approval of the FDA, argue that their foods contain very small amounts of dangerous chemicals – too small to impact the average human being. Most doctors and scientists vehemently disagree. While this may true if you have one or two meals containing genetically modified foods and food additives a month, their argument ignores the effect of eating three meals a day, seven days a week for twelve months a year of these chemicals for the last fifteen years.
Food manufacturers also ignore the reality that you are eating three or four different foods in each meal containing pesticides and food additives and their cumulative effect on the human body. If you are eating a salad with seven different non-organic vegetables and a GMO-tainted salad dressing with preservatives and other food additives, then it is the sum total of all of these chemicals that must be considered not the amount in a single piece of lettuce, a carrot and other vegetables. We call this polypesticides and/or polychemicals.
If you consider that most Americans, especially the youth of today, have been consuming these dangerous chemicals in large doses since their introduction into the American food chain in the 1990s, you can use your imagination to create your own totals of dangerous chemicals the average youth has consumed in their limited lifetime. While adults tend to eat healthier foods than the younger generation, the volume of dangerous chemicals consumed by adults since the early 1990s can have a negative effect on their health too.
I know many vegans and vegetarians who consider their meatless diets safe. But, if your vegan or vegetarian diet consists of only genetically modified fruits and vegetables eaten with dairy products from factory farmed cows, you will be no healthier than a person who eats red meat and fast foods. In fact, one can easily argue that consuming only fruits and vegetables soaked in herbicides and pesticides is more dangerous because of its effect on a person’s homeostasis discussed in our companion books.
My wife likes the example of a person using a pepper grinder containing genetically modified “Roundup Ready” pepper soaked in Roundup and other pesticides on their meals. If you look at your next meal and say to yourself, “I am grinding pesticides on my meal to make them taste better,” you will have a graphic example of the dangers. If you have also added other non-organic, genetically modified spices, including salt, then the dangers to your health increase exponentially. Every time you add a spice, you are shaking on pesticides.
If you are a soup lover, just imagine that wonderful broth from your vegetable soup containing a mixture of spices, herbicides and pesticides as you gulp down a spoonful. Juicing of non-organic fruits and vegetables into a health drink is just as bad. There is no way of knowing the percentage of herbicides and pesticides contained in each so-called healthy drink. Instead of cleaning your body out from dangerous chemicals, you are increasing the levels with each drink or smoothie.
The question you need to ask yourself is, “How many and how much chemicals do I consume ever day and what will be the effect on my body over the long haul?” Only you can answer that question and that answer should motivate you to change your lifestyle to organic foods and spices. In our case, my wife threw out all of our non-organic spices and replaced them with organic spices and found that not only are we healthier but our food tastes dramatically better. Even this simple change can impact your health.
About Emanuel Barling, Jr., Esq. and Ashley F. Brooks, R.N.
Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks are the winners of the Blogger News Net 2010 Best Health And Nutrition Book Award winner for Mannie’s Diet and Enzyme Formula – A Change of Lifestyle Diet Designed for Everyone and Best Health and Nutrition Book Award winner Arthritis, Inflammation, Gout, Crohn’s, IBD and IBS – How to Eliminate Pain and Extend Your Life.
Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks are the winners of the Books and Authors 2010 Best Diet Book Award winner for Mannie’s Diet and Enzyme Formula – A Change of Lifestyle Diet Designed for Everyone and the Books and Authors 2010 Health Reference Book Award winner Arthritis, Inflammation, Gout, Crohn’s, IBD and IBS – How to Eliminate Pain and Extend Your Life.
He is a lawyer, author and businessman who spent more than thirty years practicing law in the Greater Los Angeles Area. In the 1970s, Mr. Barling served as in-house counsel to two of the first HMOs in Los Angeles including one that treated more than 13,000 patients a month. Mr. Barling actively participated in the management of these clinics as well as convalescent hospitals, including reviewing all medical matters from PSRO (Professional Standards Review Organizations), physician utilization, interviewing doctors,specialists and evaluating malpractice claims.
Mr. Barling helped pioneer Medical Outreach programs and health fairs throughout South Central Los Angeles and Inglewood. He also lobbied on behalf of the clinics and hospitals in the state capital on issues involving changes in health law, patient reimbursements, and hospital and clinic claims for payment from Medicaid and Medicare with such luminaries as health expert Carl Weissburg and Edward L. Masry of Erin Brokovich fame.
Throughout the 1980s, Mr. Barling continued to form and participate in the day-to-day management of medical practices, clinics and ancillary service companies such as x-rays, laboratories and physical therapy units. Throughout the 1990s, Mr. Barling represented the largest factor of medical accounts receivables across the United States negotiating agreements involving the purchase, operation, and management of hospitals, clinics and private practices throughout Southern California.
At the same time, Mr. Barling was involved in every phase of restoring an acute care hospital in East Los Angeles and seven clinics serving the Latino community from insolvency at the time of purchase to becoming a $100 million a year medical practice serving the eastside of Los Angeles and parts of Orange County. Along the way, Mr. Barling represented Fortune 400 businessmen, actors and motion picture production companies, as well as serving as a voting member of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. He has also served as a judge pro tem and arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association, arbitrating important cases such as the construction of the Los Angeles Tennis Center on the UCLA campus.
Mr. Barling’s first book on health, Taking Control of Your Life — a Journey to Wellness, is based upon his personal experiences with the treatment of colon cancer and other digestive diseases. The authors' companion book, Mannie’s Diet and Enzyme Formula — A Change of Lifestyle Diet for Arthritis, Inflammation, Gout, Crohn’s, IBD and IBS, coauthored with Ashley F. Brooks, provides answers and illumination for the 79 million plus Americans who suffer the debilitating effects of Crohn’s disease, IBS, IBD, ulcerative colitis and a secondary diagnosis of arthritis, gout and gouty arthritis.
Ashley F. Brooks, born in Youngstown, Ohio, is a second generation Irish-American holding Irish and American passports. She is also a third generation nurse. In 1915, her grandmother was in the first graduating class of St. Elizabeth Nursing School. Ashley followed both her grandmother and mother’s path by receiving full-time training and employment in the hospital operated by the nuns at St. Elizabeth School of Nursing before graduating to become a licensed registered nurse.
After graduation, Ashley worked at St. Elizabeth Hospital’s Emergency Department, which operated a Class A Emergency Room, accepting the worst trauma patients for all of Youngstown and its surrounding areas. Their ED was responsible for every imaginable medical emergency including rape victims, injured policemen, burn patients, women in labor, sick children, heart patients, countless code blue patients, drug overdoses, helping with casting broken bones, helping families cope with death of a loved one and an endless list of “you name it” emergencies.
The hospital was equipped for poison control and triage nursing. The hospital also treated prisoners for the county and state. The emergency room included various triage rooms to separate patients, including those patients going to intensive care, cardiovascular care and to burn units.
While enrolled at Youngstown State University working toward a graduate degree, a family tragedy put a halt to her education. Someone spiked her retarded sister’s drink with LSD at a party, which caused her sister to go into full-blown schizophrenia. Ashley or her parents frequently admitted Dorothy into various psychiatric wards. As a result, Ashley learned a lot about the disabled and psychiatric medicine firsthand.
The Ohio psychiatrists wanted to commit her sister as a ward of the state. A local newspaper article about specialist Theron G. Randolph, M.D. (the father of Environmental Medicine and elimination diets) and his discoveries relating to environmental medicine and mental illness gave Ashley hope.
Ashley quit her job at St. Elizabeth Hospital, left Youngstown and moved to Zion, Illinois, to travel with her then dangerous schizophrenic sister. Ashley became the Charge/Head Nurse in a busy emergency room while watching over her sister’s treatments.
Dr. Randolph advocated a new and revolutionary elimination diet. He slowly introduced various waters from all over the country in a medicine cup, testing for allergies and intolerance. The attending nurse checked the pulse and respiration as each was tested, one by one. He then added food to the test.
At first, Ashley thought he was a con artist. Looking for answers, she asked one of his assistants, a physicianpatient,to lunch. He looked pale, weak and starving. Ashley flipped the top down on her convertible, thinking this young doctor needed some sun. He was instantly overcome with repeated petit mal seizures when car and truck exhaust wafted their way. Ashley never questioned Dr. Randolph’s theories again.
As a result of Dr. Randolph and his teachings, her mother specialized in nutrition and started a nonprofit community service called The Council for Better Nutrition, which was directed toward mitigating the effects of diseases through vitamins, holistic and environmental medicine. She also taught the benefits of preventative medicine. She was ahead of her time and brilliant in this emerging field. Nursing and nutrition were a constant conversation in Ashley’s family up to her mother’s death.
Ashley then accepted an emergency nursing position in one of the worst areas of Chicago. There she saw and worked with some of the worst injuries resulting from some of the most violent crimes imaginable. She also saw patients infested with cockroaches, lice-ridden derelicts, junkies, hookers, knifed pimps, beaten children, policemen with gunshot wounds and sights and smells that have never left her. It was an urban war zone. Ashley has also specialized in private duty working with cancer patients, hospice, psychiatric nursing and a wide variety of other disciplines.
During her time in Chicago, she returned to her childhood interest in studying singing and acting. She took private lessons at the Chicago Conservatory of Music and acting classes at St. Nicholas Theatre and Steppenwolf Theatre. She has also performed in independent feature films, television, commercials, print modeling, local and touring theater companies. She is a member of SAG, AFTRA, EQUITY, ASCAP and a voting member of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
Ashley was diagnosed with a serious illness that kept her in and out of intensive care for nearly a year and required chemotherapy. It took her years of study and employing all of her family’s knowledge of nutrition to escape the death sentence given her by the treating physicians. She credits Dr. Theron Randolph, Linus Pauling’s Vitamin C theories, juicing and her mother’s vitamin and preventative nutrition theories for saving her life.
When her husband was diagnosed with colon cancer, Crohn’s disease, IBD, IBS, arthritis and gout, he was given two years to live. She stopped performing in order to tend to his health needs. He was a mess and, in the beginning, one of the worst patients she had ever dealt with. The treatments offered in the late 1990s were at best minimal. It took a great deal of time to nurse him back into a productive life.
Along the way, she studied every facet of his illness and kept abreast of medical advances on a continuum. Over an eighteen-month period in 2007 and 2008, Ashley spent more than three months learning about state-of-the-art medical treatments in world-famous clinics in Austria and Germany. She has also undergone their treatment programs, which includes medicines designed from her own blood specifically matched to her body’s needs.
2010 Book Awards
Books and Authors 2010 Health Reference Book Award winner
Blogger News Net 2010 Best Health and Nutrition Book Award winner
Biography of Blogs and Podcasts
● Acid Rain Attacks the Gulf by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Environmental News, Medical News, Research News - Posted on September 13, 2010
● Acid Rain Attacks the Gulf - Part 2 by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Environmental News, Medical News, Research News - Posted in September 16, 2010
● Do You Know That Organic Salt Has Less Effect on Your Body than Table Salt? by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Medical News, Research News - Posted in October 8, 2010
● Pork Tenderloin Recipe by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, narwo.com - Posted on October 11, 2010
● Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) Cause Allergies, Delayed Food Sensitivities, Food Intolerances and in Some Cases Even Death by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, Medical News - Posted on October 21, 2010
● Sausage and Chicken Mixed Grill Recipe by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, narwo.com - Posted on October 18, 2010
● What You Don’t Know About Genetically Modified Fruits and Vegetables by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Medical News - Posted on October 21, 2010
● Grilled Chicken, Grilled Hamburger, Baked Potatoes and Salad (For a Family of 4) by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, narwo.com - Posted on October 22, 2010
● Organic Frisco Bacon Cheeseburgers and Spicy Onion Fries by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, narwo.com - Posted on October 30, 2010
● Organic Chicken Tetrazzini with Garlic Cheese Bread (For a Family of 4) by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, narwo.com - Posted on November 5, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century: Just How Much Sugar, Salt and Other Chemicals Are We Consuming in One Day of Fast Food Eating? by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Food, Medical News - Posted in November 5, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - The Corn Refiners Association And More by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Interview, Medical News - Posted in November 16, 2010
● Are Your Liver and Kidneys Telling You That it Is Black Friday for Your Health – or – How Much MSG, Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs), High Fructose Corn Syrup and Other Chemicals Did You Consume on Thanksgiving Day? by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Food, Medical News - Posted in November 23, 2010
● HFCS, MSG, GMO And The Rest Of The Food Alphabet Soup by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Food, Medical News - Posted in November 23, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century – GMO Soy - The Toy Of Big Food by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Medical News - Posted in November 30, 2010
● Is the Hidden Soy in Your Foods Contributing to Illness and Poor Health? by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com, All News, Medical News - Posted in November 30, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century – GMO Soy – Dr. Andrew Weil An Industry Shill? by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks on BloggerNews.com, Medical News - Posted in December 2, 2010
● Are There Too Many Fast Food Restaurants Near Your Home and Your Children’s Schools by Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks, BloggerNews.com in Medical News - Posted in December 9, 2010
Podcasts and Wrap-up Shows
● Simon Barrett Interviews Authors Mannie Barling and Ashley Brooks – August 18, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Radio Wrap September 4, 2010 by Simon Barrett, All News, Interview, Medical News - Posted in September 7, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - It’s in The Water! by Simon Barrett, All News, Environmental News, Medical News, Research News, Society and Culture - Posted in September 10, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - It's In The Water And The Air – Original Air Date: September 11, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - It’s In The Water - Radio Wrap September 11, 2010 by Simon Barrett, All News, Medical News, Research News, Society and Culture - Posted in September 12, 2010
● Interview with Mannie Barling and Ashley F. Brooks – Posted September 11, 2010 - selfgrowth.com
● Surviving The 21st Century – The Deepwater Horizon Disaster And Acid Rain by Simon Barrett, Medical News, Research News - Posted in September 12, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - It’s In The Water Part Two by Simon Barrett, Environmental News, Medical News, Research News - Posted in September 16, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - It's In The Water And The Air (Two) – Original Air Date: September 18, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Radio Wrap September 18, 2010 by Simon Barrett, All News, Environmental News, Medical News, Research News - Posted in September 20, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - It's In The Water (And Maybe Your Supermarket) – Original Air Date: September 25, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Radio Wrap For September 25, 2010 (part 1) by Simon Barrett, All News, Environmental News, Medical News - Posted in September 28, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Radio Wrap September 25, 2010 (part two) by Simon Barrett, Environmental News, Medical News, Society and Culture - Posted in September 30, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - It's In The Water And Your Food – Original Air Date: October 2, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - MSG and High Fructose Corn Syrup by Simon Barrett, Environmental News, Medical News - Posted in October 3, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Salt, Shopping and Sustainability – Original Air Date: October 9, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - A Painful Experience – Original Air Date: October 16, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Attack Of The GMO's – Original Air Date: October 23, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Food Sensitivity – Original Air Date: November 6, 2010
● Surviving The 20th Century - Radio Wrap For October16, 2010 by Simon Barrett, All News, Medical News, Research News - Posted in October 19, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century – RDA’s And Much More – BNN Radio by Simon Barrett, Food, Interview, Medical News - Posted in November 1, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Radio Wrap For November 6, 2010 by Simon Barrett, Food, Medical News, Research News - Posted in November 7, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - OMG – Original Air Date: November 13, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Thanksgiving – Original Air Date: November 20, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Radio Wrap November 22, 2010 by Simon Barrett in All News, Interview, Medical News - Posted in November 21, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - GMO Soy And More – Original Air Date: November 27, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - GMO Soy And Dr. Andrew Weil – Original Air Date: December 4, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century - Gulf Update, And Much More – Original Air Date: December 11, 2010
● Acid Rain Attacks the Gulf by Mannie Barling and Ashley Brooks, penlau.com – Posted on Dec 15, 2010
● Surviving The 21st Century – How Someone Saved their Life Making Grandma's Organic Pickles after Kidney Replacement Caused by GMOs by Simon Barrett, Medical News – Posted in December 18, 2010
● The Holidays Are Over! You've Gained Too Much Weight! Is It Really Your Fault That You're Fat? The Mel Robbins Show, melrobbins.com - Posted December 20, 2010
● The Wackiest News Stories of the Week on Bloggernews.com – Posted on December 21, 2010